It’s a time of preparation, purchasing new clothing and school supplies. But it’s also a time of preparation for life. And since God told us to bring up a child in the way he or she should go, praying and teaching them to pray will equip them for success in anything they undertake. So let’s do this. I’ll provide a list of items and associations, so that when we purchase or use these, we’re reminded to pray specific prayers that will change our families and change the world.
- Pens, Pencils, Paper: I want You to write the story of my children’s lives.
- Erasers: Please erase from their hearts and memories any words I have ever spoken that hurt them. Erase all our sins so they are no longer remembered.
Ruler: I pray that my children and their friends never feel they have to measure up to the standards of the world, but rather they measure up to God’s standard, becoming all He designed them for and desires them to be.
Clothing: Father, may they desire always to dress with dignity and in a way that will bring honor to our family and to the name of Jesus as they wear His name, “Christian.” May they desire to set an example for all people in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.
- Shoes: May every step they take move them and those within their realm of influence deeper into Your love and light and truth.
please grant them a passion for Your Word
and books by Christian authors that will help them live wisely and well. Let this be what they crave above every other farm of knowledge.
- Backpacks: As they travel light and yet weighed down by the riches and cares of this world, that they may serve you faithfully and effectively.
- Glue: God, please let there be a sacred bond between You and my children that cannot be weakened. Bind their friends to You. And unite the members of our family together with a fierce connection that will only increase with time.
- Sticky Notes: Please sticky-note significant Scriptures across their hearts and deep in their minds, words of power that will direct the course of their lives and inspire them to speak Your name to the nations.
- Scissors: Please cut away any thoughts or motives that will infect their hearts, lives or potentials.
Lunch Box: Just like Jesus, may this child’s favorite food be to fulfill the sacred vision and mission of our Father who placed him or her into Your kingdom for such a time as this.
So let’s do this. Let’s pray and teach our children to pray—to pray dangerous prayers that will change their lives and change the world. And may they change the nations.
Connie Norris has a passion is to mobilize women and children to pray. Please visit her website, “My Home, a House of Prayer for All Nations,” myhomeahouseofprayerforallnations.com, or connect with her on Facebook at facebook.com/conniepn.
This article originally appeared at just18summers.com.