Generation Z—those born between 1997 and 2012—is rising. They are entering the workforce, entering politics and entering the ministry.
But spiritually speaking, this generation is in crisis.
Forty-six percent of Gen Z say they’ve committed their lives to Jesus, which looks good on the surface. The challenge is only one-eighth are practicing Christians, according to an American Bible Society (ABS) study. A practicing Christian is defined as one who considers their faith very important to them and attends religious services at least once a month.
The ABS study also reveals Gen Z faces unprecedented levels of stress. The research shows that this age group is facing a mental health crisis, with stress, anxiety and depression far beyond the norm. At the same time, 53% of Gen Z say they’re curious to know more about Jesus. Three of four indicate some level of curiosity about the Bible or Jesus.
Psalm 78:4 tells us we should tell “the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might, and the wonders that he has done.”
We need to pray for Gen Z. This month, Awakening Prayer Hubs has taken up Gen Z as our focus. Would you pray with us?
Here are some prayer points for Gen Z.
- Pray God would pour out His Spirit on Gen Z (Acts 2)
- Pray that Gen Z would grow in a deeper love for Jesus (1 Peter 2:2).
- Pray that Christian Gen Z would share their faith with unbelieving friends (Rom. 1:16).
- Pray that Gen Z would lean on the Word and the Spirit as they live their lives (Ps. 119:105).
- Pray that Gen Z would press into prayer for revival and spiritual awakening (2 Chron. 7:14).
- Pray for Gen Z to learn to cast their cares on the Lord (1 Peter 5:7).
- Pray that Gen Z can connect with churches that are healthy and biblically sound (Titus 2:1)
Click here for more prayer points.
Bring Charisma magazine home with a subscription today!
Jennifer LeClaire is an internationally recognized author, apostolic-prophetic voice to her generation and conference speaker. She carries a reforming voice that inspires and challenges believers to pursue intimacy with God, cultivate their spiritual gifts and walk in the fullness of what God has called them to do. Jennifer is contending for awakening in the nations through intercession and spiritual warfare, strong apostolic preaching and practical prophetic teaching that equips the saints for the work of the ministry. Jennifer is senior leader of Awakening House of Prayer in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, founder of the Ignite Network and founder of the Awakening Prayer Hubs prayer movement.